COVID-19 home test: step-by-step guide for children
Before you start
- Read these instructions (linked below) before you open the test kit – there is also a video linked below
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds before you handle the test kit
What you need to do
It’s very important you read the instructions and follow the steps in the correct order. Each test will take about 15 minutes to set
up and results will be ready after a further 30 minutes.
- Prepare your test area and check your test kit contents Page 6
- Set up your test Page 8
- Take your swab sample Page 10
- Process the swab sample Page 12
- Read your result Page 14
- Report your result Page 15
- Safely dispose of your test kit Page 17
How to do a COVID-19 Self Test (rapid antigen test)
How to report your result
You need the QR code, or the ID number under it, on the test strip to report your result.
Or report by telephone. Lines are open every day, 7 am to 11 pm. Call 119 (free from mobiles and landlines)
What to do if you test positive for Covid-19
If you do test positive, it is recommended that you book a PCR test. Please click the link below to be redirected to the .Gov website where you can book a PCR test.